Live Conference Call – What is Educate the Future?
For the past year and some months, we have been working on planning an initiative called "Educate the Future," a community movement to (1) organize our community resources to provide free tutoring and mentoring to children in low-income neighborhoods during their time in K-12, (2) connect the resources of local businesses and corporations to update and revamp the quality of education being offered, and (3) generate curriculum and policy recommendations to create long-lasting change at a local, state, and federal level. We want to open this up to all of you and include anyone interested in creating change for our children. If you would like to learn more about this project, and possibly jump on board in a capacity to help secure a better future for children throughout the country, then make sure to join our call. At the moment, we are planning to set up small pilots within a limited number of schools in New Jersey (where we have ties and connections to leverage) just as a starting off point, but we have all the intention of growing and replicating this throughout the country once we show our success. You do not have to live in New Jersey to get involved; we want your expertise, knowledge, and passion for education above all else! Please join us this coming Saturday, 7/1, at 8:00 PM EST on our call where we will explain our mission and goals in more detail, along with a more detailed breakdown of the available positions.
Visit our “Welcome Blog” and “About Us” to get an idea of who we are:
- Date: Saturday, 07/01/2017
- Time: 8:00 PM until 9:30 PM EST
- Facebook Event
Nuno Pereira currently serves as the President of Educate the Future, a community movement to provide all children with free, high-quality, educational opportunities during their time in K-12. He founded the movement on February 12, 2016, as a means of combating the educational gap between low- and high-income communities to ensure that every child receives high-quality educational opportunities, regardless of demographic background. Before Educate the Future, Nuno traveled the East Coast of the United States, advocating, testifying, and lobbying for immigrant and worker rights, federal funding for higher education, and criminal justice reform.
How to Join the Call
- Free Call Link: https://discord.gg/NsjcSJh
- If using a computer, type a name that will display when in the chat room (please use your real name for this call). You can then skip the step for creating an account and continue on to the chat room.
- If using a phone, you will have to download the app and possibly need to set up an account.
- Once in the chat room you will see some of the room info. On the right hand side, you can see a list of who is in the room, and on the left you can see who is in the voice channel.
- Please make sure to click on the left side where it says "General" under "Voice Channels" so that your mic is synched and we can hear you.
- When using a mic is permitted (before the call starts, and then during Q&A) you can click to unmute your mic in the very bottom left where the icons are displayed.
- Please make sure to follow these steps at least 15 minutes before the call to make sure you're connected properly and your mic works.
- Mics are fine to use before the presentation begins, and at the end during the Q&A session.
- Please keeps mics muted during the duration of the presentation. This is so any background noise is prevented and all participants can hear clearly.
- If you have any questions during the presentation, type your questions into the chat and we will get to them as we are present. This is an interactive presentation so please feel free to type as many questions as you like.
- During the open mic Q&A, please type "Question" into the chat to let me know you want to turn on your mic to ask a question. This will allow us to have an order of who will ask a question first without anyone being cut off or discouraged to speak. We encourage you to keep your mic on when we answer your question, but just be aware that we will ask you to mute the mic if there is any background noise.
- Obvious one, please be respectful of all people in the call! We take this one seriously so we will ban people from the call if they persist after warnings. We doubt this will be an issue, but we wanted to make our stance on this very clear.
- This call is meant to help motivate and inspire you to make change in your community, regardless of whether or not you join our movement. Ask any questions that come to mind and feel free to come early or stay late to talk with other participants (all of you share a similar passion so why not).